Thursday, November 8, 2007

Meatloaf

Not too long ago, I made meatloaf for the first time, and according to the wife, it was a hit.
I looked up the recipe on about.com
This is what I found:

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten

PREPARATION:

Mix all ingredients together gently. Form into a loaf and place in baking dish or loaf pan. Top with more ketchup if desired. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.
Serves 4.
It's a good base, but I prefer more flavor. I add minced or crushed garlic (to your taste) and a bit of chili powder or perhaps some hot sauce of your choice.
Also, mix about 1/3 cup ketchup with whatever spice you flavored the meat with and 1/4 tbsp of brown sugar to use as the top coat.

My suggested side dishes:
Potatoes, mashed or baked
Rice
A large rock.

No comments: